Wasatch Homeless Healthcare
Location: Fourth Street Clinic and out in the Community (Outreach).
Duties & Responsibilities:
The following information is intended to be representative of the essential functions performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific task or function will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities. The Outreach Medical Assistant position is a 40-hour, full-time position which may include some fluctuation in hours worked per day. Some weekends required.
Principal responsibilities out of clinic:
Identifying, finding, contacting, engaging, and following up with patients and potential patients on the street, camps, motels, shelters and other locations as needed.
Serving as a Medical Assistant to outreach team:
- Vital signs
- Lab work including specimen collection, processing, interpretation and reporting
- Wound care/first aid
- Assisting provider in all duties as needed
- Charting in electronic medical records
Outreach EMT/Paramedic without provider onsite:
- Functions with autonomy by communicating with provider about the assessment and treatment of patients in the field
- Patient assessment
- Vital signs and interpretation
- Labs work
- Patient history and basic physical exam including history of present illness and past medical history Basic EMT/Paramedic examination of patient’s body
- Cap refill, pupils, edema, lungs auscultation and vital signs
- DCAPBTLS –identify, document, and basic interpretation of abnormalities including but not limited to deformities, contusions, abrasions, punctures / penetrations, burns, tenderness, lacerations and swelling.
- Communication with provider about needs of patients and provider plan of care.
- Charting and navigation within EHR, as well as other hospital system EHRs in order to obtain further details about patient’s history and needs.
Principal Responsibilities in clinic:
- Performs routine Medical Assisting duties, including: assisting providers, tray setups (paps, pelvics, minor surgeries), charting patient care, vital signs, EKGs, urinalysis, rapid strep test, pregnancy testing, finger-stick glucose & Hgb, phlebotomy and injections (intramuscular, intradermal and subcutaneous) medication administration.
- Stocking/inventory of patient exam rooms, medications/immunizations, storage room and lab area.
- Follows all CLIA, HIPAA and OSHA guidelines.
- Reporting all safety concerns with staff and patients to your supervisor immediately.
- Be an active participant in the Medical Assistant/RN team including assisting staff when asked for assistance as well as knowing your scope of practice.
- Logging daily in the MA lab log book (microscope, refrigerator temp. and centrifuge).
- Using the electronic health record to put in vital signs, lab results, orders, etc.
- Assumes responsibility for the training of MA externs and volunteers.
- Capable of working quickly and efficiently under pressure. Work well with others to organize and run efficiently medical provider’s clinic schedule.
- Sensitive to the needs of homeless people, but capable of being innovative and assertive with a diverse population in a variety of situations.
- Good organizational skills with emphasis on accuracy, prioritization and reliability.
- General office skills: phone etiquette, basic computer skills, and filing.
- Excellent communication skills with staff, volunteers, patients and all people and community organizations involving Fourth Street Clinic.
- Provides input in development of clinical procedures/setting clinic goals.
- Responsible for specific duties assigned to them by supervising personnel.
- Expected to be prepared to start shift at scheduled time.
- Keeps customer service and the mission of the organization in mind when interacting with all clients, co-workers, and others.
- Ensuring all actions of patient care are charted correctly and accurately in the Electronic Health Record.
- All other clinic responsibilities included in the employee handbook.
- Medical Assistant
- EMT Certified
- English/Spanish bilingual prefered
$12.00 - $14.00 per hr.
How to apply:
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org